Saturday 19 July 2008

Out of the blocks...True or False?

Since adding a counter to the website approximately two weeks ago, over 1000 people have had a look - many thanks. Feel free to leave (constructive) comments, and if there are any suggestions please either comment or email me: jrs970@yahoo.co.uk

I started work again yesterday with great difficulty and attempted upsurges in motivation. Actually quite an encouraging start: I began with the MCQs from the new edition college book, some of which I recognised from previously, and some which were new. It's a different ball game with MCQs from now on without the negative marking, as this takes the dilemma about leaving questions unanswered out of the game. All questions should be answered as there is nothing to lose, and the college is recommending 80% as a passmark (which is probably the equivalent of approx. 60% for the negatively marked paper). I got 77% on the first 90 questions - don't be too alarmed as I have done the damn exam before so hopefully would have retained some knowledge. The last time I started MCQs, I was getting dreadfully embarassing marks e.g. 20-30%!! My advice would be: do not underestimate this part of the exam - it is where I came unstuck at my peril. Practice practice practice.

It is also worth (if not already done so) thinking about courses. Not for everyone, granted, but they do focus the mind somewhat (and it's a weekend/week off work too!). My experience is entirely with the Mersey courses. I can't recommend the Booker Course highly enough for the experience, practice, timing, and lectures on SAQs -it really whips you into shape! There are also various weekends/weeks for SAQs/MCQs, and SOEs once you hopefully get there.
Other courses available can be found at Anaesthesia UK.

No comments: