Thursday 3 July 2008

More Reading Material

Previous SAQ papers can be downloaded from the RCOA website here.

AnaesthesiaUK has many many past questions divided into various sections from here and here.
I have grouped all the questions according to SAQ, Long Cases, Short Cases, and Basic Sciences.

I would also look at the CEACCP supplements from 2007-8 that come with the BJA every other month. These topical subjects are excellent SAQ/SOE fodder. If you haven't got hard copies, they can be downloaded here, although you will need to sign in with your BJA subscription details.

The Bulletins from the RCOA can also be a useful source of information, again these can be downloaded from here.

Review articles from the BJA provide exam material too, using archives from 2007 and 2008.

Similarly, review articles from Anaesthesia, using archives from 2007 and 2008. Again, you will need membership details to access these.

Hope this provides some needed direction; there's still more to come!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are going about the exam the wrong way. All they want is breadth of knowledge, a sensible logical approach and attention to safety. I followed your blog and was worried I wasn't working hard enough compared to you. However I passed having done a fraction of the preparation you did. Don't study so hard that you resent it, don't try and predict questions, don't waste time and money on courses.....just relax, do a few mcq's, read Bricker and the CEACCPs. Enjoy your anaesthesia. They don't expect anything from you that you don't do every day.

Anonymous said...

in response to the person who posted the first comment, i dont think your advice is sound at all, everyone approaches the exam in a different way, sounds like having only done a fraction of the work was alright for you....or were you just lucky.....your comment seems to imply that everyone who fails the final FRCA is not a safe anaesthetist - which is clearly not the case

Dr James Shorthouse said...

All comments appreciated as usual! I see what your saying: it is possible to get too involved with the exam but some people are able to do less work and have the ability to pick stuff up quicker, or talk themselves out of any difficult situations in vivas. Unfortunately, I don't have these abilities and have to rely on real hard, long graft to achieve the standard. It just so happens that I have shared my ordeal with everyone!! It is not a measure of how hard everyone should be working - just the standard I set for myself alone. I do have the breadth of knowledge, logical approach, and I am damn safe as an anaesthetist, it just wasn't meant to be this time round - lacking that bit of luck (& ?composure) on the day maybe.

Anonymous said...

Fair enough, I was just worried that by doing the blog (which is a lot of work on your part) you were wasting time that might be better spent relaxing and having a break from it all. No offence meant!

Dr James Shorthouse said...

No offence taken at all - I really do appreciate all input, and I know where you're coming from. Doing the blog has actually helped me revise by collating material etc and reading it at the same time. Believe me it didn't take out from the revision schedule! Well done for passing & enjoy your summer! James