Tuesday 1 July 2008

A New Beginning

Congratulations to everyone who passed the exam last week - it was no mean feat at all! Unfortunately, I was not successful for a number of reasons; I got a 1+ in the MCQ section which left me on a handicap going into the vivas. I got 2's in the SAQ and Clinical Viva, but had a major hiccup in the Science Viva - I got asked about the intercostal nerve etc and started off OK but then completely blanked. It spiralled downwards from there unfortunately. I thought I had rescued it in pharmacology, talking about conscious sedation & drugs etc, physiology was OK on oxygen delivery, but I appeared to struggle on physics and the Venturi effect of all things. It was a good example of letting an earlier bad section get to me. In hindsight, I should have done more MCQs!! It has been one of the toughest weeks of my career so far, but thanks to some great girlfriend/family/friend/work colleague support, I'm doing OK.

I decided that, despite having been an extremely public humiliation via this blog's reasonably wide stretching and advertising on AnaesthesiaUK, I would carry on blogging. Firstly, I hope it will give heart to others who weren't successfull this time, that they aren't alone in suffering; and secondly, because I know the information I have shared on this blog has helped people - and I hope to continue to do the same for the next batch of people.

You can read my previous efforts in their entirety at an alternative blogsite (I will transfer some relevant stuff from there): http://didntpassthefinal.blogspot.com.

For more excellent advice on how to pass this exam by someone who did pass, visit Exam Intelligence

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad luck. Your blog really helped me be successful. Anyone can have a bad day. I wish you all the best for next time.

Anonymous said...

Your blog had been extremely helpfull and well written. Thank you. Not to loose heart, these things happen. Failures can only make us stronger.

Anonymous said...

Shit.... I have been following the blog since it started and it was very useful (your hot topics, CEMACH summary and paeds crib sheet were particularly useful), and reflected how we were all feeling in the run up to the exams I think.
I am sure you will fly through next time; you clearly know your stuff, but anyone can have a nightmare on the day. Best of luck, and thanks for your help...

Anonymous said...

mate, i didnt pass either ...

came as a shock that u didnt.

i had two attempts at the primary, inspite of getting 2 plus es in the mcqs each time. and as a consultant of mine said, u do not choose the exam u pass, the exam passes u.

not to worry, we ll work hard again. and one day, will prevail.

kudos on continuing to blog.

yer a brave man

Anonymous said...

Just a suggestion but it may be useful to post the gory details of what happened to you. It will help others in preperation. Knowing what can go wrong is as useful as knowing what can go right.

For instance starting of your answer to sacral anatomy by saying "the sacrum consists of 5 incompletely fused sacral vertebrae" generally is a bad strategy.
But I prepared for when my mouth and brain were not connected and this time it didn't phase me when I forgot the names of the other two eye muscles (sup & inf oblique)
while rattling off eye anatomy.

Good luck mate... it only took me 4 attempts :)

EBM/CAT/SR said...

Man, for one thing you got balls! don't des'pair'!!!

LOL!

U will get it. Take a short break and get right back. You probably had a bad day.

Dr James Shorthouse said...

As requested, I have edited the first post with some details of my exam.

Anonymous said...

I have been following ur blog since I started preparing for the Final in Feb 2008. I couldnt believe that u didnt pass. Hard luck. Hope to see u in Dec 2008 vivas.
Good Luck

AF said...

Really sorry to hear you didn't pass.
When you spoke to me on the day and mentioned about the intercostal nerve going pear shaped I thought "Yeah, but you'll have pulled it together".
Good luck for the next sitting, and keep blogging! It's good stuff!

rathan said...

I have been following your blog, since u started. It has helped me a lot to pass this exam. I sincerely feel that u deserve a pass. I wish you all the best for the next time.

Anonymous said...

Am really sorry to hear you didn't pass. I have been following your blog for ages. I found it especially useful in those moments of dispair - it was good to know I was not alone! It took me two goes at the primary due to spectacular viva collapse the first time around. Have a little faith in yourself, you clearly know your stuff. Good Luck!